Sunday 20 October 2013

Eau de Wet Dog!

Yesterday I took Hugo and Pip up on to Selsley Common, it was very dull and overcast but not actually raining. Until, of course, we were 10 minutes in to the walk and you could see the black clouds rapidly approaching and, even worse, hear the rumble of thunder. For those of you who do not know it, Selsley is at the top of a hill with fantastic views over the Severn valley but it is very bleak when the weather turns bad with winds whistling up the side of the hill. 

Pip drying off under her blanket
I quickly decided to cut the walk short and we started to loop back when the heavens opened. I dared not shelter under one of the very few trees on the Common just in case there was any lightening accompanying the thunder and thought the best thing to do was brave it out and keep walking. The rain became torrential - huge, hard drops, almost like hail, that stung and blinded us as well as totally soaking us to the skin. Hugo, Pip and I were absolutely dripping. Pip did not seem to mind at all and just carried on her normal spinning round in circles, sniffing and rummaging in the undergrowth. Hugo, on the other hand, was not amused! His ears were flat back and his eyes almost closed and I virtually had to drag him to make him walk. At last we got back to the car (I had borrowed Martin, my OHs as Toby had mine) and we all leapt in. The whole inside of the car was saturated as Hugo and Pip shook and I dripped everywhere. When we got home Pip was easily dried with a towel but Hugo wasn't so keen and they were both still a bit damp at bedtime.

Hugo's puppy pink feet
This afternoon I had to fit in walking Hugo and Pip with picking Toby up from work and collecting some paperwork so I took them up on Minchinhampton Common which is very flat with just an odd tree on it (oh, yes, cows as well). Would you believe it, just after we had set off it started to rain again and gradually got worse and worse so we did take shelter under a tree - when I say tree it was one of those hard bitten things that takes all the brunt of the winds and was more like a bush on a stem. It did protect us to a certain degree and Hugo and I stood close to the trunk out of the worst of the rain. Miss Pip though, refused point blank to take shelter and stood at the full stretch of the extender lead out in the open with her head pointing in the the wind and rain which was, by now, falling almost parallel to the ground. She looked like a spiky hedgehog by the time we got back in the car (mine today) and threw ourselves inside. Another steamed up, soaking wet car interior for the second day running.

Everywhere I go at the moment I get the waft of wet dog!! Not very pleasant and rather hoping we don't get visitors for a few days - I've already had to apologise profusely to people I have given a lift too and had to leave the windows open as we drove along as the smell was so bad. The plus side is that Hugo and Pip are lovely and clean at the moment and the pads on Hugo's feet have gone puppy pink again now that all the dirt and mud has been washed away.


2 comments:

  1. I remember once when I was up the fields with Little Ben and a thunder storm suddenly erupted. I started to run but Little Ben kept getting under my legs trying to shelter and I nearly broke my neck falling over him. I swore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't imagine you doing that, father! Think Hugo is the same as Ben - doesn't like to get wet. Fortunately, neither of them are bothered with thunder or fireworks.

    ReplyDelete