Tuesday, 2 April 2013

Pip's Day at the V.E.T.S

Hugo waiting for Pip to come home.
Today was the day for Pip to be spayed so all food had to be taken away as from 6pm last night - unfortunately, Hugo had to suffer this as well but I gave them both a huge meal of roast chicken mixed with their food so I don't think they were going to starve, although they did look a bit disgruntled they couldn't have their usual bedtime snack.

Duck hunting!
I left Hugo with Toby and got Pip in the car and off we went for our 8.10am check-in time. As soon as we turned in to the drive to the vets Pip started crying and when I tried to get her to walk down the steps to the surgery door she stood her ground and tried to get back to the car. I managed to fool her by walking the long way round and using the disabled ramp which approaches from a different direction. She obviously had not forgotten her previous visits here. The nice nurse tried to take her down the stairs to the hospital part of the vets but Pip was having none of it and I had to go ahead of her and call her down. She looked back at me through the glass panel of the door and I felt so guilty - it was worse than leaving your child on their first day of school.

Pip feels a bit cold

Pip sleeping it off
When I got home Hugo was very clingy all morning so I took him for a nice long walk this afternoon and he brightened up duck hunting along the canal. I let him lead the way for a change and he totally surprised me by taking me the circular route I always use but completely in reverse - he certainly knew which way he was going so perhaps he was hinting we should do it his way every now and again. When we were almost home we met one of our neighbours walking her husky and they were both very well behaved towards each other with a lot of paw waving at each other - perhaps it's when Hugo is with Pip that he gets a bit dominant towards other male dogs.

We went back to the vet this evening to pick up Pip and we could hear her coming back up the stairs at top speed with the nurse being dragged behind saying 'Wait for me!' Martin took her outside while I was sorting out medication and appointments and she was out of there in a flash and jumped in the back of the car without hesitation. I was in the surgery for a little while and got back to the car to find Martin standing outside it with the back door open and Pip howling inside. When she saw me the noise intensified and she continued to yowl the whole way home. Don't know whether it was the affects of the anaesthetic or she was just making us well aware of what a horrible day she had had but she certainly made herself heard!

While we were out Daniel took Hugo off to his friend's house to give Pip a chance to settle before they see each other. She ate the remains of the chicken from last night and is now sleeping on the sofa, although she did feel a bit cold so I put her blanket over her to warm her up a bit. She seems quite content now but I think she will be feeling the cold when she goes outside as she has a huge naked patch where they shaved her - the scar is only about 3 inches long and looks very neat so hopefully it will not cause her any problems. So far we haven't had to use the 'cone of shame' but only time will tell on that one. Just waiting for the reunion when Hugo comes home - I expect there will be a lot more howling to come.